The Correct Way to Wear Ladies' Wedding Rings

Running at the gym earlier today... Rachel Ray is on the TV, and I notice her wedding rings. She has a pretty big rock, BUT her wedding band is above the ring with the big diamond. Which makes me more confused...

This confused me last year when I got married, and a year later I still don't know! So, when you get married... how do you wear the wedding band - closer or away from your heart?
I will probably feel like an idiot, cause I think I google'd this last year or asked or friend (or probably just looked at another married woman's finger) and I swore it was to wear the band below the "big" ring and "closer" to your heart.

If anyone out there reading this is a jeweler and knows the correct way... can you PLEASE make note in the comment section.

I really would like to know once and for all.

Does it really matter? In the grand scheme of things, probably not... but I guess it's just my anal retentive side that wants to know.

In the meantime, I'm gonna google again. Or maybe I should "Cuil" it. Ha! Cuil... and that would be another post....


***Here's what Wikipedia had to say:
"One interpretation states that the woman wears the wedding ring below the engagement ring, thus making it closer to the heart. Another practice holds that the woman should wear the wedding ring above the engagement ring, thus sealing the atmosphere of the engagement into the marriage. Still others prefer that the wedding ring should be worn alone. Further, modern ring sets in the United States are often marketed as a three-piece set, including the man's wedding band, the woman's engagement ring, and a slender band that is mounted to the engagement ring before the wedding, converting it into a single, permanent wedding ring."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_ring

So I guess it doesn't really matter?? If it does or if you have a different opinion, please leave a comment below. Thx!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog!
It's funny, until I read your post - I didn't know that anyone wore the wedding band on top...I'm guessing it's a new trend and I'm out of the loop:)...possibly Rachel Ray inspired?:)
Fun reading, thank you!

Sebastián Puig said...

Sorry, but do you really think this is a relevant question or are you just joking? If you want your wedding ring closer to your heart, put it on an necklace (as I do). But... I never thought that this could be a matter of discussion.

Nevertheless, I love your blog. Regards from Spain!

WorldTravelista said...

Hey, got you to look rythmduel ;) Yes, of course i'm joking! Just trying to lighten things up a bit...

C. JoyBell C. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lidian said...

Oh, wedding band first, then engagement ring on top! My mother was totally into this sort of issue, so I got the word fairly early in life about this (and other stuff)...I've never seen anyone wear them any other way (informal survey over last 25 years!)

Thanks for friending me on Blog Catalog, I have added you as a friend too!

Lidian

Dominique Goh said...

Interesting question.
For me I only use the wedding band and not the engagement ring to prevent scratching the kids unintentionally.

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Love this question. I have never gotten a diamond to go along with the band so am all set. :D But I would wear the band under the engagement ring. How BEAUTIFUL you would like it closer to the heart.

Perhaps this could be a question of comfort...wearing it above...if the top of the ring irritates the finger somehow.

Hugs, JJ

Heff said...

As long as you WEAR it, I don't really think it's a big deal as to HOW you wear it.

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

I never really thought about it because I cheated. My wedding band fits into my engagement ring and completes the design. After I had the rings soldered together, I can't tell which ring is ahead of the other. I hope the ring police don't get me if I'm wearing them wrong :)

Dino said...

beautiful blog, post very interesting, greetings from italy! Hello Dino!

Deb said...

Hi....thanks for visiting my blog today. :) I was always told to that the wedding band goes on first, then the engagement ring on top.

Debbie

Lindsey Johnson, MS, CHES said...

I've always heard the wedding band goes closer to your heart too and that's what I've always done. Plus I think it looks funny the other way.

Anonymous said...

I've always been told wedding band closest to your heart. Nice to be discussing something a little light with the news of the world lately. Thanks

Daisy Soap Girl said...

I was confused about it also but when I got married I didn't have on my engagement ring so the wedding band was always first. Now I have an anniversary ring and don't wear the engagement or original wedding ring that often.

Unknown said...

Well, if you're that confused...you can always wear each of your rings on different hands. You may wear your weeding ring on your left hand, supposedly because there's a vein in your left wedding ring finger that runs through the heart. You may wear your engagement ring on the right wedding ring finger. I wear my james allen wedding ring on my left hand. No engagement ring for me, it was a shotgun wedding.

Unknown said...


Abnormal favorite online games, such as PC
WoW Gold and Diablo 3 Gold and Swtor Credits and Runescape Gold Are among the most popular game currencies, including the PC and web games.

Unknown said...

Ring plays as symbol of the love and the married life so the selection ring is not an essay one.

st george wedding rings

Unknown said...


Conclusion 1: brush with the Zandalar small dinosaur Arts select the best of course, is the passage of the tibia, the harvest back to the blood blood teeth, high endurance, the damage Bloodfang than jumping higher. If there is no passage of the tibia can only Sri Lanka ankle next best thing, the other two can not brush. In fact be able to brush The wow safe gold the black claw addition, significantly higher than skills, as described, estimated Which version of the hotfix, also did not have to brush.

love thomass said...

I liked your article, I will share your article to everyone!!You can learn more: China tour packages | China travel packages | China Travel Agency

Unknown said...

Very interesting .. I havent thought of it :) http://www.globalringsjewelry.com/rings/anniversary-women-s-rings.html